Tuesday, March 28, 2006

As Solomon said, "There is nothing new under the sun"

In necessaries unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritus

“In essentials unity, in doubtful questions liberty, in all things charity”

St. Augustine 418 A.D.

I've never heard a Christian disagree on the fact that we have an omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, omni-omni God. I listened to a debate yesterday between Doug Pagitt, (a leader in the Emergent Church conversation) and Bob DeWaay (wow, Bob, your name is synonymous with your viewpoint). The debate was very interesting and I can certainly see both viewpoints but I really pray that somehow, as The Church we can allow charity and liberty to grow us to unity. To think that the Holy Bible or someone's own personal statement of faith, or a statement of faith of an entire church for that matter should limit how we worship God or how we communicate his presence to each other is in fact suggesting that there are some limitations on the power of the Holy Spirit. I am resistant to that. I am excited that Joyce G. shared in church this past Sunday that the words we speak somehow are not only poured out on one another but are also absorbed in our own hearts. I know that Jesus taught us to love each other. I don't know how far we are supposed to take that in some respects but I trust that the Spirit within me will be my guide. I also trust that the Holy Spirit is the litmus test for what it means, personally, to "abide in Christ".

No comments: